Penn State Erie, The Behrend College, offers a variety of on-campus housing options. From traditional residence halls, large suites, to double-room suites, there is sure to be a room that fits your needs. All residence areas are located on the southern side of campus, just a short walk from Dobbins Dining, Behrend's all-you-care-to-eat food court. Classrooms, library, athletic fields, gym, and other campus facilities are nearby too. Parking lots are conveniently located near the residence area.
In recognition of the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812, all residence hall buildings are named in honor of individuals and ships that served to establish American independence from Great Britain.
Each hall provides residents with 24-hour card access building security, study lounges, laundry facility access, vending machines, a modern fire-safety system, and a central lounge. Wireless service is also available in the lobbies of Lawrence, Niagara, Perry, Ohio, and Senat Halls, Packet Community Center, and Tigress Hall laundry facilities.
Almy Hall offers two-bedroom suites that accommodate four students. Each suite features a shared study area and a semi-private bathroom with two sinks, storage space, and separate shower and toilet stalls.
Almy Hall was constructed in 1997 and houses 132 students. The hall is named after Thomas C. Almy, who was the Sailing Master of the Schooner Somers. A native of Rhode Island, Almy died in Erie in December 1814.
A traditional residence hall, Lawrence Hall offers double rooms and a common bathroom on each wing. Lawrence Hall was constructed in 1971, renovated in 2004, and houses 210 students. Oliver's Lounge, a game room open to all on-campus residents, is also located in Lawrence Hall.
Lawrence Hall is named after the United States Brig of War, launched on June 25, 1813, and was originally selected as Commodore Perry's flagship. Lieutenant John Yarnall of Pennsylvania commanded the Lawrence. The Lawrence was so badly damaged during the battle that it became completely disabled, and then Perry had to board the Niagara. Perry won the battle fifteen minutes later, at which time he coined the phrase "We have met the enemy, and they are ours..." James Lawrence, for whom the Brig of War is named, made the phrase "don't give up the ship" famous. He uttered the phrase as he was dying from his injuries on the U.S.S. Chesapeake on June 1, 1813.
Niagara Hall is a traditional residence hall and offers double rooms and a common bathroom on each wing. Niagara Hall was constructed in 1968, renovated in 2004, and houses 208 students.
Niagara Hall is named after the Brig Niagara, the ship that Commodore Perry was commanding to win the Battle of Lake Erie. The brig was launched on June 4, 1813, and was commanded by Captain Jesse D. Elliott. During the battle, Perry was forced to leave his original flagship, the Lawrence, and board the Niagara. Perry immediately put the Niagara at full sail and assaulted the British line. Within minutes, the British surrendered and the Battle of Lake Erie was over. The Niagara was stripped and sunk in Misery Bay in 1833. The Niagara was raised and rebuilt in 1912, and was again rebuilt in 1939 and 1990. Today, she sails Lake Erie, acting as an emissary for the city of Erie, with a crew of mostly volunteer sailors.
Ohio Hall features two types of four-person suites for upperclass students (two double bedrooms or four single bedrooms). Available to first-year and returning students participating in Honors Housing, each suite offers a semi-private bathroom with a vanity area and separate shower and toilet stalls. Ohio Hall accommodates 263 students.
Ohio Hall was named after the one-gun schooner, Ohio, commanded by Sailing Master Daniel Dobbins.
A traditional residence hall, Perry Hall has double rooms and a common bathroom on each wing. Perry Hall was the first residential building constructed on campus in 1967, and was renovated in 2003. Perry houses 200 students.
Perry Hall is named after the famous Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. Commodore Perry was primarily responsible for the turning point of American Independence from Great Britain. He was born in South Kingston, Rhode Island, on August 23, 1785. At age 13, Perry entered the Navy as a midshipman, and at age 20 became a lieutenant. Perry died from yellow fever on his 34th birthday in 1819.
Porcupine Hall offers double-occupancy suites for eight upperclass students. The suite provides two full bathrooms, each with a separate vanity and shower/toilet areas. A laundry facility is located in the basement of Tigress Hall. Porcupine Hall was built in 1991 and houses 65 students.
Porcupine Hall was named after the one-gun schooner Porcupine, commanded by Sailing Master George Senat.
Senat Hall opened in 2004 and provides two suite options for students: one-bedroom suites for two students and two-bedroom suites for four students. Each suite offers a semi-private bathroom with a vanity area and separate shower and toilet stalls. Senat Hall houses 149 students, and the Housing and Food Services Office is located in the lobby area.
Senat Hall is named for Sailing Master George Senat, who commanded the one-gun schooner Porcupine.
Tiffany Hall features double-occupancy suites for eight upperclass students. Each suite includes two full bathrooms, each with a separate vanity and shower/toilet areas. A laundry facility is conveniently located in the basement of Tigress Hall. Tiffany Hall was built in 1991 and houses 65 students.
Tiffany Hall was named after Cyrus Tiffany, the most highly decorated African-American during the War of 1812. Tiffany served on the U.S. Brig Niagara under Commodore Perry. He was from Newport, Rhode Island and was originally a musician.
Tigress Hall offers double-occupancy suites for eight upperclass students. Each suite includes two full bathrooms, each with a separate vanity and shower/toilet areas. A laundry facility is conveniently located in the basement. Tigress was built in 1991 and houses 65 students
Tigress Hall was name after the one-gun schooner Tigress. The schooner was originally named Amelia, and was built in Erie. Launched in April 1813, the Tigress was commanded by Lieutenant Augustus H.M. Conklin. The Tigress and Scorpion schooners were standing watch on the entrance to the Nautawasaga River in late summer 1814, when Tigress was taken over by four boatloads of British and Indians. In 1913, the remains of the schooner were raised and placed on the town dock at Penetanquishene, Ontario.