Direct Room Exchange
Penn State Housing strives to accommodate students' preferences when making room assignments. At the time that room assignments are posted, all rooms have been assigned, and there are no empty spaces available to change a student's room assignment. Once the semester has started, if you want to change your room or housing area you can use the Room Exchange eBoard on the eLiving website. Check the Room Exchange eBoard for the dates it's open for processing room exchanges.
Room exchanges are limited in that students must have the same type of housing contract to exchange. For example, students with a medical assignment can only switch with another student with a medical assignment, sorority members can only switch with other sorority members, first-year students with other first-year students.
By using the eBoard, you are accepting responsibility for your room exchange, and that by conducting a room exchange, are acknowledging that you are accepting the new room assignment and understand that the University is not able to undo that transaction. If you are not satisfied with your room exchange, you can re-post your room to facilitate another exchange.
Once you log in to eLiving, you'll see the Room Exchange eBoard as a link on the left-hand navigation. The following options are available:
My eBoard Postings
This section allows you to manage your room posting so that other students may see where you live and where you are interested in moving. You may add postings for as many different housing areas as you are interested in reviewing. You may also indicate if you are looking for a room to accommodate you and your roommate. But keep in mind that when you process a room switch, your roommate won't be moved automatically--they will need to process a room switch as well. If you do complete a room exchange, any remaining eBoard postings will become inactive.
View eBoard Postings
This section displays other students' eBoard postings. To view the postings, you must first add your own eBoard posting.
Postings will include information about where a student currently lives, what type of room they are assigned, and whether they want to move with their roommate. If you find a student whose assignment you are interested in switching with, you can view that posting by clicking on the student's Access ID. You can review their room assignment and room rates associated with the assignment. If there is a difference in room rate, the increase/decrease will be indicated. To complete the request, click on the "Submit Room Switch Request" button and the system will send an email to the student. The student will have 48 hours to respond to your request. During that time period, you will not be able to send out other requests (you may cancel any pending requests). If the student is interested in your assignment, they will accept the request. The system will automatically make the room assignment change, and any room rate adjustment necessary will be applied to your student account. Follow the instructions below once the room switch has been processed online.
My Room Switch Requests
This section displays the status of your Room Exchange postings.
If you receive a request to switch rooms, the request will be displayed in this section. You can decline or accept a room switch request. If you have initiated a request and later decide to cancel the request, you can use this section to process the cancellation.
Direct Room Exchanges
if you know a student who you want to switch rooms with directly, you do not need to post your room assignment, but can submit a direct room exchange using this screen. You will enter their Penn State Access ID, and the system will submit the request to them directly. They will have 48 hours to respond to your request. During that time period, you will not be able to send out other requests (you may cancel any pending requests). If the student is interested in your assignment, they will accept the request. The system will automatically make the room assignment change, and any room rate adjustment necessary will be applied to your student account.
1. Your room assignment has changed but you are not currently checked in:
- If you switched room assignments with a student before the semester started, you can simply check into the new room when you arrive. No further action is required.
2. You are moving from one room to another during fall, spring, or summer semester:
- The room change must be completed during a 24-hour period within four days of the effective date (date it was processed). This includes checking out of your old room and into your new room through the commons desk.
- Arrange for a check-out inspection of your current room by Housing staff. Staff are available to conduct inspections between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Return your room key to the commons desk of your current assignment. You'll then be able to get a new mailbox assigned and have your mail forwarded. Don't exchange keys directly with the other student. If you do not return your room key(s), your student account will be charged for changing the lock.
- Check into your new room by presenting your Penn State id+ Card at the commons desk of your new assignment. The desk will give you the key to your new room and a check-in form.
- Submit the online Room Inspection Form on eLiving with any damages or problems noted within 7 days of check-in.
- Your Ethernet connection will be available in your new room once the other person checks out.
3. You are moving to a new room for spring semester from a different room in fall semester:
- You must check out of your current fall room assignment before the end of the semester. Be sure to remove all of your belongings.
- Arrange for a check-out inspection of your current room by Housing Staff. Staff are available to conduct inspections between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Return your room key to the commons desk of your current assignment. Don't exchange keys directly with the other student. If you do not return your room key(s), your student account will be charged for changing the lock.
- If you need storage for your belongings, check with the Housing Office for availability. Electronics and valuable items cannot be stored.
- Check into your new assignment at the start of spring semester.
Do you have other questions about exchanging rooms? Contact the Assignment Office.