Medical Accommodations

Penn State provides a climate of equal opportunity to all of its programs, activities, and services, and is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To this end, Penn State provides accessible housing for students with disabilities as defined by these laws. To qualify for protection under these laws, the student must provide documentation from a qualified examiner that substantiates that he or she has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity and that the requested accommodation is necessary to afford the student equal access.

To be considered for a special accommodation, once the student has an accepted Housing and Food Service Contract, the documentation must be received on or before the following dates per the semester for which the request is made:

  • Summer Session: June 1
  • Fall Semester: June 15
  • Spring Semester: December 1

To make a reasonable accommodation for the student’s need, there may be certain situations where housing preferences (such as area or roommate requests) cannot be honored. Students submitting special accommodation requests after the dates indicated above will be accommodated as quickly as possible, when acceptable space can be determined. If a student is offered a change to the housing environment, an additional cost may be associated with the resulting assignment or requests. Any reasonable accommodation is considered, but the student must support the accommodation request with a documented need linked to his or her disabling condition. The reasonable accommodation takes effect once the determination is made, based on space available. Paperwork cannot be submitted for advance assignment.

To request a special accommodation for your housing environment, complete the following Reasonable Accommodations Request Form for Housing (pdf) and mail or fax to:

  • Director, Ancillary Services
    201 Johnston Commons
    The Pennsylvania State University
    University Park, PA 16802

Returning Students: If you are being treated by University Health Services (UHS), please take a copy of the Reasonable Accommodations Request Form for Housing (pdf) to be completed by their professional staff. If you require special classroom/academic assistance, contact Student Disability Resources at 814-863-1807 (TDD) or stop by 116 Boucke Building.

Temporary Medical Conditions

If a student is experiencing a temporary medical condition that affects his or her mobility, The Assignment Office should be contacted to discuss possible options for a room reassignment if space is available.