Thousands of packages and mail show up at University Park's commons desks every month.
The Commons Desk
Each residence area has a Commons Desk that is open 24 hours* and seven days a week. Watch a video to learn what the commons desks are all about!
Desk Locations on campus:
- East Halls: Findlay Commons
- North Halls: Warnock Commons
- West Halls: Waring Commons
- Pollock Halls: Pollock Commons
- South Halls (Hibbs, Stephens, Cooper, Hoyt, Ewing, Cross, Haller, Lyons): Redifer Commons
- South Halls (Simmons, McElwain, Atherton): Simmons Hall
- Eastview Terrace: Redifer Commons
- Nittany Apartments and Nittany Hall: Nittany Community Center*
* Nittany Community Center is open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
View contact information (email/phone numbers) for the desk operations.
The Commons Desks offer residential students delivery of U.S. Mail and package delivery only. To send out a package or purchase stamps, please visit the U.S. Postal Office located in the McAllister Building on campus (located next to the HUB).
Here are tips to help ensure quick mail delivery to students.
- Do not write "Penn State University" in the address. This may divert the package to the University's Business Services, and not the Commons Desks.
- Use student's full name in address. The software recognizes the same name that is on the Housing Contract. All mail must be addressed to the student's official University name on file.
- Nicknames, fictitious names, and joke names will be sent back or cause delays.
- Do not send candy and/or liquids in envelopes.
- Do not send cash. If mail is lost or damaged, checks can be canceled. Cash is lost.
- We recommend tracking and insuring packages.
- Use the proper mailing address for residence hall residents:
Room #, residence hall
University Park PA 16802
- Use the proper mailing address for Nittany Apartment residents ONLY:
600 E. Pollock Road
Apt#, Nittany Apts.
State College PA 16801
- U.S. mail delivery and package delivery (including Penn State Bakery and flower deliveries)
- Room assignment check-in/check-out
- Room key pick-up/return
- 2-hour room key
- Temporary id+ card
- Add funds to the Campus Meal Plan or Lion Cash+accounts
- Cot rentals
- Cleaning supplies check-out
- Vacuum cleaner check-out
- Recreational equipment check-out
- Fax machine service
- Lost and found for commons area
- Purchase CATA bus tokens
- General question and answers
The Commons Desks offer great opportunities for students looking for part-time employment. Each semester, more than 120 students work at the on-campus desks. Visit the online application site for more information.
2-Hour Room Keys and Temporary id+ Cards
Residents that temporarily misplace their Penn State id+ Card or room key may sign out a 2-hour room key or purchase a temporary id+ card at the Commons Desk.
2-hour room keys
The resident has a 2-hour time frame to use the key. If the room key is not returned to the Commons Desk by the end of the 2-hour time frame, a core change for the room will be processed. The core change cost is $58 per core (some room types, such as those in apartments and suites, have more than one door and will be charged for each core that needs to be changed). The core change cost will be billed to the student's account. Core changes are processed quickly to ensure that the resident's safety and security is maintained.
Temporary id+ cards
If a student misplaces his or her Penn State id+ Card, the student should suspend the card immediately by deactivating it online. If the card is located within seven days, the card can be reactivated online. A temporary id+ card, which is valid for seven days, can be purchased for $3 at the Commons Desk. Student privileges that will be reassigned to the temporary card include access to the residence hall, Campus Meal Plan, and LionCash+. Other privileges, such as PNC Bank Account, football tickets, etc., cannot be transferred to temporary cards. If the student does not locate his or her card, a replacement card can be obtained at the id+ Office at the current replacement fee.